A Historically Underutilized Business (HUB) is a for-profit entity that has not exceeded the size standards prescribed by the Texas Administrative Code,(40 TAC §101.205) and has its principal place of business in Texas, AND is at least 51% owned by an Asian Pacific American, African American, Hispanic American, Native American, American women and/or Service Disabled Veteran (20% disability rating), who resides in Texas and actively participates in the control, operations and management of the entity's affairs.
In Fiscal Year 2019, the State of Texas awarded more than $2.6 billion in contracts to businesses certified as Historically Underutilized Businesses (HUBs). State agencies, including public colleges and universities, are constantly looking to work with HUB certified businesses. The goal of this good-faith effort is to actively involve HUBs in the Texas procurement process and to ensure they receive a fair share of state business.
UNT System component institutions include:
- University of North Texas; Denton, Texas
- UNT Health Science Center; Fort Worth, Texas
- University of North Texas at Dallas; Dallas, Texas
- UNT System Administration; Dallas, Texas
The University of North Texas System is committed to supporting the Historically Underutilized Business (HUB) Program established by the State of Texas.
The UNT System HUB Area is always available and ready to assist department representatives with locating a qualified and responsive HUB vendor or to assist a HUB-eligible vendor to acquire HUB certification.
For a list of current events and business development activities, please email email@example.com
Spot Bid Fair 2022 Information
On May 2nd & 3rd, Senator Royce West will be holding the annual Spot Bid Fair. All Texas based vendors will have the opportunity to bid on procurement opportunities provided by the State Agencies and Universities. Our department will invite Historically Underutilized Businesses (HUBs) to bid on items/services our institution is in need of. Vendors will review the opportunities and provide an on the spot quote.
We would appreciate your departments participation. If you plan to make any purchase in the next few months, we would be glad to obtain quotes on your behalf during this event.
A few things to remember:
- A HUB is a business primarily owned by either a woman or minority and or a disabled veteran and operates in Texas.
- We must intend to award these contracts/purchase orders within 6 months. In some cases we can use them up to 12 months later.
- Formal solicitation limits are relaxed, and having a vendor on an approved GPO adds further solicitation validation.
- We can award a contract/purchase order to a vendor already doing business with UNT.
- Sending a bid opportunity DOES NOT commit the department to make the purchase.
- Recent history has shown that there are “easy” opportunities available to UNT System. There are items that we know we will purchase regardless of the fiscal environment (toilet paper and hand soap?).
- IT products such as computer systems and peripherals and MRO products, janitorial supplies, among other categories are “easy” opportunities that we know we routinely purchase.
The deadline to send our team the specifications or Statement of Work is April 25th. Please submit completed template to HUB@untsystem.edu.
Find the template here - Spot Bid Template