The Payroll and Tax Department work closely to ensure that Forms W-2 are furnished to all employees as required by January 31 each year. The fastest way for employees to receive their W-2 is to consent to receive their W-2 electronically. Employees that do not elect to receive their W-2 electronically will receive their W-2 by mail.

Federal and state tax withholdings as reflected on an employee’s paystub or W-2, are based on the employee’s Form W-4. The IRS recommends that employees use the tax withholding estimator (TWE) to verify the accuracy of their W-4 each year to ensure proper withholding. Information about the IRS’ TWE is provided in the IRS FAQs link below.

Please note, non-resident aliens need to follow special instructions to ensure proper W-4 completion and withholding. According to the IRS, the TWE is not designed for use by non-resident aliens. Non-resident aliens should visit the Taxes for Internationals tab for more information on how to ensure their W-4 is properly prepared.

W-2 and W-4

Your W-2 and W-4 can be found on

An important note regarding Form W-4.

The IRS redesigned the W-4 to better align with the 2018 federal tax code changes. Employees who have furnished a W-4 prior to 2020 are not required to use the new W-4, unless making a change to their W-4 in year 2020 or after. New employees are required to use the new W-4. It is important that all employees carefully follow all of the new W-4 instructions, if filling out the new W-4. Non-resident aliens as discussed above are required to following special Form W-4 instructions as detailed in the Taxes for Internationals tab.

Please visit the IRS website for more information on the new W-4, including details about the IRS’ TWE.

UNT System logo

W-2 and W-4


Forms 1099-MISC are mailed out by January 31 of each year to the address of record. Vendors with address changes will need to submit a change of address request before their 1099-MISC can be mailed to a new address.

You can request information about your 1099 at if you haven’t received it in the mail, or if you need information about updating your address.