Skip to main content

Travel Definitions

General Information

These are common definitions of travel terminology and how they impact the university.

Conference Registration - Registration prior to travel should be purchased using an Individually Billed Travel (IBT) card, purchasing card or a requisition through the BSC Purchasing Area requisition process.

Conservation of Funds - it is expected that all university travel is planned and conducted to achieve maximum cost efficiency. All expenses must be reasonable, necessary, appropriately documented/explained and properly approved.

Corporate Travel Planners (CTP) - CTP is the preferred travel booking agent for employee travel and offers services that allow employees and/or designated administrative staff to book airfare, hold hotel and rental car reservations as well as manage their travel arrangements online at under the Human Resources tab and clicking on the Concur Solutions link.

Currency Conversion - All expenses incurred on foreign travel must be converted to U.S. dollars and should reflect the rate on the date of travel.

  • Conversion documentation for each expense must accompany the travel voucher.
  • Currency can be converted online at
  • When using a credit card to pay for foreign travel expenses, the conversion rate is calculated by the issuing bank for the credit card company.
    • A copy of the credit card statement must accompany the travel voucher as conversion documentation.
    • The credit card number should not be listed in its entirety (last 4 digits) to insure compliance with Payment Card Industry (PCI) standards. Note: It is recommended that the credit card number is redacted (if electronic) or use a marker to cover all but last 4 digits.

DeptID/ProjID - a DeptID or ProjID setup in accordance with guidelines of the member institution and holds the funds used to cover expenditures. Once established, the expenditures must follow pre-established regulations for university funds.

Designated Headquarters - defined as the boundaries of the city in which the employee’s place of employment is located. o Establishment of an alternate designated headquarters outside of this definition requires approval of the DeptID/ ProjID holder. NOTE: The Office of Research Services or Grants is required to approve any expenditure on ProjID's.

Employee - An individual who is employed part-time or full-time by the UNT (University of North Texas) System, UNT, UNT HSC (Health Science Center) or UNT Dallas and eligible to travel on university business.

Foreign Travel - An employee is entitled to be reimbursed for travel expenses incurred while conducting university business in a foreign country. The University of North Texas System and its institutions are committed to the safety, security and wellbeing of students, staff, faculty, and volunteers traveling abroad. UNTS and its institutions take proactive measures to identify and respond to risk arising from university-related international travel. International travelers are required to register their travel in advance using the link below. Travelers are encouraged to utilize the resources provided to prepare for and respond to emergency situations that may occur while abroad. Note: International travelers are required to register their travel in advance. For more information to register your International Travel, please visit: /international-travel

Individually Billed Travel Card (IBT) - is issued by the State of Texas through Citibank. The IBT card is the preferred method of payment for employee’s business related travel expenses. o Employees must complete an application to Citibank for approval. Upon approval, the card is issued in the employee’s name and will be sent to the employee’s home address. o Citibank does not report the existence of the account to the credit bureaus. o The IBT allows an employee a more efficient way to pay for business related travel expenses. o Employees are eligible for state contracted rates (airfare/hotel/rental car) using the IBT. o An IBT cardholder will be billed for all charges placed on the credit card and is responsible for payment by the due date. o Any expenses placed on the card prior to the trip (i.e. airfare, hotel deposit etc.) will be reimbursed to the traveler prior to the trip by submitting a travel voucher along with receipts for processing. o Card should not be used for non-university travel expenses.

Packaged Travel Services - is the purchase of at least two travel arrangements (i.e. airfare, lodging, and rental car) from an agency or service. Corporate Travel Planners (CTP) is the preferred service for packaged services. CTP is the preferred travel booking agent for employee travel and offers services that allow employees and/or designated administrative staff to book airfare, hold hotel and rental car reservations as well as manage their travel arrangements online at under the Human Resources tab and clicking on the Concur Solutions tab.

Signature Authority Proxy - DeptID/ProjID holders and Supervisors may assign another person to sign on their behalf in their absence. o A proxy request (email) should be sent to BSC Travel at from the DeptID/ProjID holder or Supervisor assigning signature authority. o The proxy tool for the online booking tool, Corporate Travel Planners, CTP/Concur is created within the software system. Assigning proxy for booking travel is referred to as assigning an “arranger”.

Tax implications - Reimbursements for travel meeting the following criteria, in accordance with IRS directive will be sent to the Payroll Office and listed as taxable wages. o Over 60 day reimbursements – A reimbursement request for travel expenses that is submitted after 60 days from the last day of travel or the expenses. o No Overnight stay meal reimbursement- A reimbursement for meals when there is no overnight stay.

Travel Funds - Travel expenses are restricted to local funds for all System and Institutional travel. Contact the budget office for exceptions.

Travel reimbursement - The payment for expenses incurred by an employee on university related business following the rules as established in the guidelines. Travel to Washington, D.C - For any trip with the purpose of conferring on legislative or appropriation issues with U.S. Congress/Federal Government staff or officials, travel to Washington, D.C. will be reported to the “Office of State – Federal Relations” by the Business Service Center (BSC) Travel Area.

Key Roles

These are a list of different roles with an explanation of the responsibilities of each in the travel process.

Travel Department - assist and facilitate the travel program (travel services coordination and reimbursement of travel expenditures) for the member institutions in a timely and efficient manner while maintaining control and sustainability of University funds.

Departments - The department is responsible for ensuring that travel guidelines are followed and for maintaining the original supporting documentation for travel until the trip is complete and payment is reconciled.

DeptID/ProjID holder - has the budget authority for approved expenses on a fund where they have official signature authority. The DeptID/ProjID manager is responsible for reviewing and approving travel documentation before submitting to Travel for processing.

Executive - is defined in System Regulation 8.1003 which states an executive is the Chancellor of the System and the Presidents of the Institutions.

Office of Research Services (ORS)/Grant Office - The Office of Research Services on the UNT and UNT Dallas campuses or the Office of Grants and Contracts on the HSC campus are responsible for approving any expenditure on grants. Both offices should review the approval to travel prior to the submission to Travel.

Supervisor - is required to approve an employee traveling prior to the trip on the Travel Budget Authorization form (TBA) and when trip is completed on the travel voucher request for reimbursement.

Traveler - An employee of a member institution who is traveling on behalf of the university on university related business.

Travel Coordinator - responsible for preparing travel documents to ensure that all required information is included and reconciles to the receipts. In the forms library on the UNT System website, a spreadsheet is available to assist with reconciling travel expenses and is recommended for trips over two days.

Approval Process

The approval requirements listed are the minimum requirements established and required for timely reimbursement. A member institution and/or a department within the member institution may adopt stricter guidelines regarding approvals for travel to strengthen the approval process and controls.

  • The Travel Budget Authorization Form (TBA) should be completed prior to travel and approved by the supervisor, DeptID/ProjID holder, Grants or Research Services (if necessary) and submitted to Travel immediately if an advance is required or with the requested reimbursement voucher upon completion of the trip. The TBA is found in the forms library on the UNT System website.
  • If the traveler is the DeptID/ProjID holder, the supervisor must approve charges in CTP and the reimbursement voucher. A DeptID/ProjID holder should not approve their own travel expenses.
  • Foreign travel on state funds must have approval prior to traveling which must include the President/Chancellor or their designee.
  • The DeptID/ProjID holder has the budget authority for the funds being used for the travel expenses.
  • Additional approval for expenses on a ProjID approval must be obtained from the following;
  • The Office of Research Services (ORS) for the UNT and UNT Dallas campuses
  • The Office of Grants and Contracts for the UNTHSC campus
  • The Supervisor is required to approve the travel budget authorization form before a trip occurs and the travel voucher after the trip occurs.

Classification of Travelers

Prospective Employee Travel - Reimbursements of travel expenses for a prospective employee is allowed and follows the normal approval process.

  • Advance travel arrangements for prospective employees will be available through CTP.

Prospective Employee Spousal/Family travel - Travel expenses for a prospective employee’s family are allowed with proper approval and will be reported to the Payroll Office as taxable income.

Student Travel - currently enrolled student traveling on university related business are eligible to use CTP to assist with travel arrangements or they may have expenses reimbursed. Spousal Travel –Reimbursement of travel expenses for an employee’s spouse is allowed with approval of the President/Chancellor in addition to the normal approval process.

Team/Group Travel - travel involving at least one student and one employee of any member institution.

  • Advance services through CTP are available for team/group travel, as well as reimbursement after travel.
  • For cash advances, the employee will be designated as the custodian of the funds and is responsible for retraining all travel documentation.